We didn't have tons of clothes. I distinctly remember that we got new clothes at certain times of the year: Easter, Christmas, beginning of school year and maybe for a birthday. My siblings might say this memory is similar to the one about walking to school, uphill both ways, in the snow. Clothes were patched… Continue reading When I was a child…
I have been busy, I promise. Let's take a look at current and recent projects: The nice thing about putting them into a bag is that they stay straight (as opposed to rolling about getting tangled with each other) as I knit directly from the bag. When finished with this project, the bag can be… Continue reading Workbasket – update
Sadly, most of my UFO's, PHD's, WIP's, etc's have had no progress. The grey layette is exactly where I left it a week ago: None of the new wrap dresses have even been started: Although, I did get a second vintage pattern to make the dresses though... I didn't start the bee quilt: The blocked… Continue reading Workbasket – quick update
These five washed fabrics are now ironed and ready to be used. The bee fabric is for a quilt for Son. All the other fabrics are for wrap around dresses or "Hoverett" using Mrs. Depew pattern #3073. 5 new UFO's. Grey Layette: Lavender Layette: Wedding dress alterations: Denim lace shawl:
Rationing of clothing (and other things) was a large part in the lives of British citizens during WWII. This was before it was 'acceptable' to wear sleeping pajamas or workout wear to run about town. People had to be careful how they spent their clothing coupons and needed to maintain the garments that they already… Continue reading Make-do and Mend Monday : Let’s Break the shackles of fast fashion.
The panel of "breathable" fabric had worn right through. Other than that, these running shorts were in good repair. The first step was to purchase a replacement fabric. I didn't go for anything "breathable", as per DW's request. I picked up a knit fabric that was a little more sturdy, a very fine 1x1 ribbed… Continue reading Mending Monday – running shorts
I looked for my last mending post regarding these jeans, apparently I hadn't posted about them. Let me correct that now. On November 2nd I worked on mending the worn fabric BF's jeans. For this project I used the electric sewing machine, Pfaff Hobby Quilter. Added the feed dog cover and the embroidery foot. Starting… Continue reading Mending Monday – black denim again & again