Progress on Grandma’s Flower Garden Quilt has been slow. Initially, all the posts were scheduled to happen on a weekly basis. Then I discovered that the images weren’t showing up on the blog posts if looked at while on mobile phones. GAH! Back to the drawing board…
Additionally I wanted to see if I could print out the pattern straight from Newspapers.com site, in it’s original (and useable) size. through much trial and error, I was finally able to print out the basket pattern where the base of the large triangle measured 10.5″, as the printed article stated was the measurement. The steps were as follows:
- On Newspapers.com site, select the clipping
- click “view clipping”
- click on “print”
- click “more settings”
- for paper settings choose “legal”
- for margin settings choose “none”
- for scale choose “custom”
- set scale size at “150”
After printing this size of the block pattern I checked the measurement of the base of the triangle and it fit the 10.5″ requirement (as I’ve already mentioned). Then I checked the measurements of the rectangle… aaaaaaand it didn’t match my rectangle. This was super frustrating because I had already made a couple of basket blocks already. More importantly, I had already cut out ALL of the pieces that I needed to make ALL of the basket blocks. Needless to say, I will be going with MY pattern measurements. The only measurement that I hadn’t figured out was the width of the basket handle. The handle of the full size pattern measured 1/4″ wide. I will make bias tape to use for the basket handles.
Having covered the crocus block pattern printed at 150% with one of the large 1/2 block-triangles of Peter Pan gingham, it was then held up to a window. This showed that the 150% was too large for the flower pattern on MY blocks. The flowers would have been into the seams when the blocks were sewn together, and that was before adding the basket handles. This would NOT do! I tried again at 130%. This looked like it would be too small, but accounting for the handle AND the seams, it was just right!
So, if you are wanting to make this quilt as well, you can use my measurements and print out the flower blocks at 130% or you can print out the all patterns at 150% (from the Newspapers.com site).
The article gives the following instructions for making of the flower block:
Nancy gave direction for making flowers and leaves. Lay the pattern as printed In today’s paper onto a sheet of lightweight cardboard or tagboard. Paste It to this backing with library paste. Dry under pressure. When dry cut on outlines with sharp scissors. Use the small insert to show the way flowers are placed on upper part of basket block. Use soft green for leaves and stems. Be sure to make allowance for turned in edge. In cutting stems use bias piece material cut twice as wide as pattern. Fold raw edges over until they meet at centre back. Baste in place. Press with warm iron. Cut flowers from figured material. Allow one-quarter Inch on all sides for turned in edge. Run fine stitches close to edge. Lay cloth on ironing board. Put cardboard pattern on top of cloth. Gather by means of running stitch until edge of material lies flat on pattern. Press with warm iron. Clip stitches and remove patterns. Pin and baste pieces In proper places as shown by basket insert. Use invisible hemming stitch to applique flowers, stem and leaves to white material. Applique handle in same way.Edmonton Journal
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada01 Dec 1928, Sat • Page 41
In my heart-of-hearts I would like to do it exactly the same way. However I live in the future and have a bazillion other things that also bid for my limited amount of time (currently I only have Friday evenings free). I also have other applique techniques and tools (rotary cutters for instance) that will speed up the process for me, and you if you want.
To begin, the 130% printed pattern was taped to a window.
With the light streaming through the pattern, it was easy to trace the lines onto a sheet of Lite Steam a Seam II.
After taping a sheet of the double sided fusible web over the pattern, traced one pattern piece then moved the sheet and traced the next. This way, each pattern piece could be traced in whole, even the parts that are behind another piece. Also, the pattern pieces could be traced close together saving as much of the fusible web sheet as possible. Each piece was numbered starting from left to right (Leaves 1-3, flowers 1-2, stems 1-2).
Each traced piece was then cut out on the lines, turned over, and the same numbers were transcribed on to the back. The block instructions stated to use “bias” fabric for the flower stems. I chose not to because of using the fusible webbing I could get the shape that was wanted.
For this part of the process the pattern (now in a page protector), was taped up-side down to the window. On top of the pattern a large 1/2-square triangle was taped with right-side of the fabric up and the triangle is pointing down. Using the pattern lines showing through the prepared pieces were stuck directly to the white fabric. I probably should have placed the first level pieces, taken the fabric to the ironing board, ironed those pieces, re-taped it to the window, placed the next layer, etc. This was not done because of simple laziness. Once all pieces were in place it was taken down from the window and ironed, both right-side and wrong-side. The extra fabric that hung down below the base of the triangle was cut away.
With all the pieces in place each piece was “appliqued” to the triangle using tiny stitches. Because some pieces overlapped others the stitches were only around the edges that were exposed.
The stitching was completed relatively quickly, as long as a thimble was used. Without the thimble, the eye of the needle kept poking through the skin of my finger. ouch.