Newspaper Serial Quilts

Grandmother’s Flower Garden Quilt ~ Progress #15

Progress on anything slows to a crawl, if not a complete halt when illness visits. It started with a cold that lead to two complete days of sleep and the loss of my voice.  Finally recovering from that cold and returning to work… I came down with another cold, which also ended in two full days of sleep and a second loss of my voice. I don’t normally get sick and never back to back.  This has led us to the conclusion that having worn masks for two years, the germs were catching up to me. This was at the forefront of my mind when I came down with the flu. Because I work at a hospital, I have had all the shots and back up shots, but at this point I was starting to freak out a little bit. Using one of the “at home” Covid tests provided a negative result (one of my fears is being a modern day Typhoid Mary).  When calling in sick (again), I learned that the boss had tested positive for Covid.  Another negative “at home” test result calmed my fears. Finally being over the 2 colds and the flu, and having my voice back, I was ready to work on my projects again.

With all the flowers finished it is time to piece together the whole quilt top.  The white blocks and triangles were ready to go, being cut at the beginning with the other fabric pieces. According to the last article in the series, the white blocks were alternated with the flower blocks.  The white triangles were used along the sides to make all the edges straight. These were pieced in diagonal rows. Much like the piecing of the basket blocks.

Some of the flowers were appliqued into the seam allowance.  Cutting some of the applique stitches allowed those edges to be lifted out of the seam allowance.  After piecing the quilt top together, they could be appliqued over the seams of the blocks.

The the top completely pieced together, thoughts turned to the borders.

The first border is to be of white fabric 7-3/4″ wide. Followed by a 2-1/4″ pieced border of buff and white triangles (except for Doris who used white and the colors used in her quilt and Virginia that used white and green). There were two suggestions for the direction of the triangles, one making uniform appearance of the four corners. Some of the ladies wanted a wider quilt than the 90″, so they added a 10″ white border around the pieced border.  Wanting a quilt that fit the King sized bed with a drop that covered up the exposed mattress sides, I needed my quilt to measure 90″ from side to side. 

Having not much white fabric left over it was now time to order more. Knowing that the fabric was 60″ wide, I did some math magic and got the numbers for 2 yards to do the front borders and 5 yards to back the quilt.  I have the feeling that I ordered too much… but it was only $3.99 a yard.  I am pretty sure that future me I will have use for white on white gingham.

;-D

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s