clothing · Make do and Mend · Mending · sewing

Mending Monday

old blanket

This blanket was a mending project that had been partially completed at an earlier time. I hadn’t had enough satin edge binding to complete the project, so it had been set aside. In the meantime I had picked up more. Being that I am essentially a lazy person, I hadn’t removed the remaining original binding, just sewing the new over the old. The first attempt wasn’t successful because the bobbin tension was off. Last week I had watched a video on fixing bobbin thread tension from The Featherweight Shop. For as long as I have been sewing, you’d think I’d understand tension better. Now I have a little better idea. After fixing the bobbin tension, I gave it another try. 3 tries later, I decided to cut off the old binding before completing this mend. What did my eyes behold? the blanket edge was not one that would ever fray.

blanket edge that doesn’t fray

Why was I putting so much effort into putting on new binding when it wasn’t required? I could have had use of this blanket earlier and been working on projects far more fun. Off came all the binding and onto the bed the blanket went. I was glad it was there. Especially when we woke up to a very frosty morning.

Last weekend I did something to my quilting machine. It no longer created stitches. The needle went up and down, but the top thread wouldn’t interlock with the bobbin thread to make a stitch. Since I have owned the machine for many years and I hadn’t taken it to be serviced, I figured it was time. It was a little awkward and difficult to get the machine off the trolly of the quilt frame, but not impossible. Off to Rich‘s it went. They will be doing the mending of the machine.

This drawer on the treadle machine had been hanging like this for quite some time. It was time to fix it! I figured that it would be a fairly easy repair: A little hide glue, a couple of clamps. No worries.

Having the clamps there made it impossible to open the cover and use the sewing machine. (sigh) That wasn’t smart planning. How was I to do more mending?

For those that have been with me for a while, you may recognize this earlier repair. Also pictured above is the fabric worn then again. With both sewing machines out of commission I tried something different. It started out the same, with the iron on interfacing, then continued with this new product:

Not only did it list “Denim”, but it also listed “Jeans”. How could this product not work for what I needed. Turning the pants right side out, I applied a generous amount (but not too much) of product to the patched and surrounding seam areas. Then left it to dry.

The repair seems to be good. The dried product makes the fabric feel a little like rubberized fabric. I’m glad I only applied it to the outside of the pants. It might be a little grabby of body hair in a very tender place. (leg pits, I am talking about the leg pits)

I also used this product and technique to repair DW’s tonneau cover. It had a lining on the back. Poking the interfacing behind the tear with the dots up, I positioned the torn fabric to close the tear. Unsure of the fabric content, I turned the iron way down and carefully applied it to the fabric. Once the fabric was secure to the interfacing, I applied the product and let it dry. I was pleased and think this repair will work just fine.

Later in the day I took the clamps off the sewing machine. Here is the drawer:

It seemed like an ok fix. Then I noticed that the front piece (bottom left) was loose. While attempting to fix that I managed to break more stuff. :-/ This wasn’t a well put together piece to begin with and I was making it worse. I took the whole thing off. It mostly came off in two pieces. I started over with this mend. More on it later.

Since I had the glue and clamps out… There was the old rocking chair in the living room that had just, that day, had one of the feet break off.

And the dining chair that needed a cross piece glued back into place.

I think it was a good mending day, all-in-all. It is frustrating to make more projects while trying to finish up others.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s